Treatment will depend on the type of periodontal disease and how far the condition has progressed. Treatment options include:
Non-surgical Therapy (scaling and root planing)
Professional dental cleanings (Deep cleaning) are performed by our Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Scaling - The Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Root Planing - A careful cleaning of the root surfaces to remove plaque and calculus [tartar] from deep periodontal pockets and to smooth the tooth root to remove bacterial toxins
- Adjunctive Therapies - Local delivery antimicrobials (i.e. Arestin®) and host modulation, as needed on a case-by-case basis.
REMEMBER! The key to help protect against periodontal disease is by preventing bacterial plaque buildup. It is important to have regular professional cleanings in addition to brushing and flossing every day.
Click for more information on HOME CARE
Many patients do not require any further active treatment, including surgical therapy. However, the majority of patients will require ongoing maintenance therapy to sustain health.
Non-surgical therapy does have its limitations, however, and when it does not achieve periodontal health, Dr. Chang may recommend surgery to restore periodontal anatomy damaged by periodontal diseases and to facilitate oral hygiene practices.
Click here for more information on SURGICAL TREATMENT OF PERIODONTITIS
McKinney Periodontics; Periodontics & Implant Center of McKinney; Dr Paul Chang is a periodontist dedicated to excellence in treateing periodontal disease (gum dieease), gingival (gum) recession, and replacement of missing teeth with dental implants. Please come and visit Periodontics & Implant Center of McKinney in McKinney TX, Dr Paul P. Chang.DDS MS