Dr. Chang is a Diplomate of both Periodontics & Prosthodontics. There are less than ten dental specialists to ever achieve this prestigious recognition in the nation!
What is a Diplomate?
A Diplomate is a dental specialist who is certified by one of nine ADA recognized Speciality Boards. They are:
•Dental Public Health
•Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
•Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
•Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
•Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
What does it mean to be a diplomate?
A Diplomate is a dental specialist who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty.
-To be educationally qualified for Board certification requires:
- Certification as a dentist, including basic college education and completion of dental school to earn the D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree and;
- Certification as a periodontist after at least 3 years of a postdoctoral program approved by the American Dental Association. The period of study concentrates on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of periodontal disease; regeneration of supporting tissues of the teeth and their substitutes and maintenance of health, function, and esthetics.
-In addition to the educational requirements, Board certification requires:
- Comprehensive oral and written examinations covering all phases of periodontal disease and its treatment, including dental implants by American Board of Periodontology.
- Recertification of continued competency in periodontics through continuing education and participation in self-study program.
What this means to you as a patient?
Dr. Chang has been examined by a panel of internationally respected peers and awarded Diplomate status; Dr. Chang has received one of the highest recognitions of achievement afforded by the specialty; By successfully completing the examination process, Dr. Chang has demonstrated motivation for:
- Continued professional development;
- Self evaluation;
- Critical review of results of therapy;
- Interest in providing the best, most up to date care.
What is the American Board of Periodontology?
The American Board of Periodontology was founded in 1939 to elevate the standards and advance the science and art of periodontology by encouraging the study and advancing its practice. It is officially the oldest ADA recognized speciality board and is the only national certifying board in the dental specialty of periodontics.
For over sixty-five years the Board has served the public and profession by:
- Creating and administering a certification process to identify experts in the field of periodontics
- Creating and administering a recertification process to maintain expertise
- Granting and issuing Diplomate certificates to experts
- Furnishing, a list of Board Certified Diplomates to patients, insurance companies, and hospital administrators on request.
What does a Periodontist do?
A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, and in the placement of dental implants. Periodontists are also experts in the treatment of oral inflammation.
Periodontists offer a wide range of treatments, such as scaling and root planing (in which the infected surface of the root is cleaned) or root surface debridement (in which damaged tissue is removed). They can also treat patients with severe gum problems using a range of surgical procedures. In addition, periodontists are specially trained in the placement, maintenance, and repair of dental implants.
What is the American Board of Prosthodontics?
The mission of the American Board of Prosthodontics is to certify individuals who have demonstrated special knowledge and skills in prosthodontics. The Board also seeks to certify those who are committed to life-long learning and a lifetime of ethical practices, who value the doctor/patient relationship, who respect those with philosophical, cultural or physical differences and who are committed to the advancement of prosthodontics.
The American Board of Prosthodontics recognizes its responsibility to the profession and to the public and accepts this responsibility through the administration of an examination designed to identify individuals with the knowledge, skills and attributes deemed important to those who will be called Diplomates of the American Board of Prosthodontics.
How is a Prosthodontist different from other dentists and dental specialists?
The term “prostho” means replacement and “dontist” means dealing with teeth. Essentially, prosthodontists are THE recognized experts when anything needs to be replaced in your mouth. This can range from a single tooth, multiple teeth, or all teeth and gums in the mouth. While many other dentists can do some of these treatments, prosthodontists are the specialists dedicated to this type of care.
Prosthodontists have advanced training in restoring and replacing teeth. Prosthodontists are considered the leaders of the dental treatment plan. They regularly lead teams of general dentists, specialists, and other health professionals to develop solutions for your dental needs.
Contact us today!
Periodontics & Implant Center of McKinney
Dr. Paul P. Chang D.D.S., M.S.
-Board Certified Periodontist & Prosthodontist
Dr. Catherine Tatum D.D.S., M.S.
-Board Certified Periodontist
321 N. Central Expressway, Suite 101
(Inside of Prosperity Bank Building)
McKinney, TX 75070
Periodontics & Implant Center of McKinney; Dr Paul Chang is a board certified periodontist dedicated to excellence in treating periodontal disease (gum disease), gingival (gum) recession, and replacement of missing teeth with dental implants. Please come and visit Periodontics & Implant Center of McKinney in McKinney TX, Dr Paul P. Chang.DDS MS